The closest airport to Big Bend National Park is the Midland International Air and Space Port (MAF). Located in Midland, Texas, it serves as the primary airport for the region and provides convenient access to this expansive desert wilderness.
The distance between Midland International Air and Space Port and Big Bend National Park varies depending on the specific entrance and location within the park. On average, it ranges from approximately 200 to 250 miles (322 to 402 kilometers), making it a significant distance to cover.
The travel time between Midland International Airport and Big Bend National Park depends on the specific entrance and route chosen. On average, it takes approximately 3.5 to 4.5 hours to reach the park, considering the distance and the scenic but winding roads in the region.
To travel from Midland International Air and Space Port to Big Bend National Park, follow these general directions:
- Start by heading southeast on LaForce Boulevard, exiting the airport premises.
- Continue on LaForce Boulevard for approximately 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) until you reach the intersection with I-20.
- Take the ramp onto I-20 East and continue heading eastbound.
- Follow I-20 East for approximately 45 miles (72 kilometers) until you reach the intersection with US-385.
- Take the exit onto US-385 South and continue heading southbound.
- Continue on US-385 South for approximately 150 to 200 miles (241 to 322 kilometers) until you reach the entrance of Big Bend National Park that you intend to visit.
- Once inside the park, follow the signs and park roads to navigate the park and reach your desired destinations within Big Bend National Park.
It’s important to note that the park has three main entrances: the Panther Junction entrance, the Rio Grande Village entrance, and the Persimmon Gap entrance. The specific entrance you choose will impact your travel time and route within the park.
Midland International Air and Space Port, located approximately 200 to 250 miles from Big Bend National Park, serves as the closest airport to this vast desert wilderness in Texas. Its convenient access ensures easy travel for visitors, allowing them to seamlessly reach Big Bend National Park. Whether you’re exploring the towering canyons, hiking the Chisos Mountains, or marveling at the scenic vistas along the Rio Grande, Midland International Air and Space Port serves as a convenient starting point for your air travel needs. With its significant distance and the unique beauty of the desert landscape, it guarantees a memorable and adventurous journey as you arrive at the captivating Big Bend National Park.