The closest airport to Times Square in New York City is John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
The total distance from John F. Kennedy International Airport to Times Square depends on the specific location within Times Square. However, the airport is located approximately 15 miles (24 kilometers) southeast of Times Square.
The travel time from John F. Kennedy International Airport to Times Square varies depending on traffic conditions and the mode of transportation chosen. On average, it takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour by car, and around 1 hour to 1.5 hours by public transportation to reach Times Square from the airport.
To reach Times Square from John F. Kennedy International Airport, you can follow these general directions:
- Upon exiting the airport, follow signs for JFK Access Rd and merge onto JFK Access Rd.
- Keep left and merge onto I-678 N/Van Wyck Expy.
- Continue on I-678 N/Van Wyck Expy for approximately 5 miles.
- Take the exit toward Grand Central Pkwy.
- Merge onto Grand Central Pkwy W.
- Take the exit onto I-495 W/Long Island Expy toward Midtown Tunnel/Manhattan.
- Continue on I-495 W/Long Island Expy for approximately 10 miles.
- Take the exit toward Tunnel Exit St.
- Continue onto E 37th St.
- Turn right onto 7th Ave, and you will enter Times Square.
By Public Transportation:
- From the airport, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station.
- At Jamaica Station, transfer to the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and take a Manhattan-bound train to Penn Station.
- At Penn Station, exit and head north on 7th Ave, and you will enter Times Square.
Please note that these directions are provided as a general guide, and it’s advisable to use a GPS device, navigation app, or consult public transportation schedules for real-time traffic updates and the most accurate route information.