The closest airport to Machu Picchu, Peru is Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ) located in Cusco.
The total distance from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport to Machu Picchu will involve a combination of transportation modes. From the airport in Cusco, you will need to travel to the town of Aguas Calientes, which serves as the gateway to Machu Picchu. The distance from Cusco to Aguas Calientes is approximately 43 miles (70 kilometers).
The travel time from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport to Machu Picchu will depend on the transportation options chosen. On average, it takes around 3-4 hours to reach Machu Picchu from Cusco.
To reach Machu Picchu from Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport, you can follow these general directions:
- Upon exiting the airport, you will need to travel to the city of Cusco.
- From Cusco, make your way to the Ollantaytambo Train Station, which is approximately 37 miles (60 kilometers) away.
- At Ollantaytambo Train Station, board a train to Aguas Calientes, the town at the base of Machu Picchu.
- The train ride from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Once you arrive in Aguas Calientes, you can take a shuttle bus or hike to the entrance of Machu Picchu, which is located a short distance away.
Please note that visiting Machu Picchu requires planning and reservations, including obtaining a permit to enter the site. It is advisable to make arrangements in advance, including booking train tickets and securing a Machu Picchu entry ticket. Additionally, weather conditions and availability of transportation may vary, so it’s recommended to check for any updates or restrictions before your trip.