The closest airport to the Outer Banks is the Norfolk International Airport (ORF), located in Norfolk, Virginia.
The distance from ORF to the Outer Banks depends on which part of the Outer Banks you’re visiting, but it can range from approximately 75-120 miles.
The travel time from ORF to the Outer Banks also depends on which part of the Outer Banks you’re visiting, as well as your mode of transportation. It typically takes around 1.5-2.5 hours by car, and around 3-4 hours by public transportation.
If you’re arriving at ORF and need to get to the Outer Banks, here’s a route guide to help guide you:
- Once you arrive at ORF, head to the airport’s ground transportation area and follow the signs to the rental car companies.
- Rent a car from one of the rental car companies located at ORF.
- From ORF, take I-64 E to US-158 E/The Outer Banks National Scenic Byway in Barco.
- Take exit 291B from I-64 E.
- Follow US-158 E to your destination in the Outer Banks.
By Public Transportation:
- Once you arrive at ORF, head to the airport’s ground transportation area and look for the Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) bus stop.
- Take the Route 15 bus from ORF to the HRT Transfer Center in Norfolk.
- Transfer to the HRT Route 44 bus to Elizabeth City.
- From Elizabeth City, take the Currituck Transit Route 200 bus to the Outer Banks.
- Alternatively, you can take a taxi or ride-sharing service, such as Uber or Lyft, to get to the Outer Banks from ORF. The ride should take around 1.5-2.5 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
- Once you arrive in the Outer Banks, you can explore the many attractions, including the beautiful beaches, the Wright Brothers National Memorial, and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Enjoy your stay!